Intellectual disability, sometimes referred to as cognitive disability, affects approximately one in ten families. Current estimates indicate that there are seven to eight million Americans of all ages living with intellectual disability. Some of these individuals may experience difficult with self-expression and social connections. Children and adults with intellectual disability can – and do – learn new skills. They may, however, require additional support and time to do so. With this support, learning, development and growth is within reach for every individual with intellectual disability.
Possible signs and symptoms of intellectual disability may include:
- Delayed speech or difficulty speaking.
- Difficulty expressing needs and wants.
- Trouble understanding the world around them.
- Difficulty understanding the consequences of their actions.
Tobii Dynavox provides a range of tools that individuals with intellectual disability need to overcome communication challenges, develop language and literacy skills, make choices, speak their minds and fully participate in life!
Our products support several key areas of needs, including:
- Communication and language development.
- Cognative skills development
- Positive behaviour support
- Social skills development